While many may be familiar with the term ‘virtual reality’, there are those that do not know what it’s all about and its many practical uses. Yes, virtual reality technology is most commonly used in gaming, but it encompasses a whole spectrum of applications and uses too.
Here are five other valuable applications of virtual reality technology that you should know:
- Studies have found that VR technology benefits paraplegics by restoring some brain functions that are connected to leg movement;
- Psychologists have turned to virtual reality to further develop traditional therapy methods to effectively find solutions to various mental conditions and illnesses;
VR simulations assist surgeons in different areas of medical diagnosis and treatment such as locating tumors or making precise surgical incisions.
- Primarily, many businesses are turning to virtual reality to train employees, creating simulations based on real-life scenarios to better equip their employees to handle and respond to various scenarios;
- Virtual reality has also made possible businesses with worldwide subsidiaries to conduct meetings by way of virtual worlds.
- Travel agencies are now looking to VR simulations to satisfy the wanderlust in you. Through these simulations, you can be easily transported to your favorite destination and experience it;
Through virtual reality, individuals who are looking to go to a specific destination can now check out the place before they book a ticket.
- All branches of the military – air force, navy, and army – have now turned to virtual reality simulators to better train soldiers. These simulators can exactly replicate environments realistically, which prepares soldiers for combat without sustaining any injury;
- Another use of VR technology in the military is in helping sufferers of PTSD or ‘combat stress’ to manage the symptoms of the said condition and to help cope with it. In fact, using the same conventional ‘exposure therapy’, doctors use virtual reality simulations to help patients.
- Virtual reality has enabled the development of projects in 3D imaging, which allows engineers to view their projects in fine details. In turn, this helps them fine tune every facet of the design process and identifying possible risks even before implementation, which is cost-effective.
- In car design, virtual reality plays a crucial role during prototyping. With VR simulations, different prototypes can be created, then tested, and tweaked until the most cost-effective solution is developed.
There are many more applications to virtual reality, some incorporated in society visibly, while some are more unusual. Regardless, virtual reality technology is rapidly changing our lives without us even knowing it!